Saturday, September 27, 2008

9/27/08 - Word Up



What, your kids don't swim naked in the rain? And they don't insist through blue lips and chattering teeth that no, they aren't cold, and no they don't want to come in yet? Yeah, neither do ours . . .


It's official now that Joshua is going to be WordGirl for Halloween. Have you heard of WordGirl? No? It's a new show on PBS where WordGirl is kind of a superhero who flies through the air and defeats bad guys - like the Chuck the Sandwich Making Guy and other villians of equally malicious character.


I've always thought that I am a fairly easygoing (you know, in my neurotic worrying kind of way) parent. I mean, I was totally okay with Joshua's Dora the Explorer stage. Tim was the one trying to talk him out of the pink Dora scooter at Target. We came home with a Diego scooter. I don't think that Joshua will be destined to a life of femininity, or decide to wear hairbows or pink tights . . . Although he really used to like when I pretended to put makeup on him while I was doing my own, but that's a story for another time.


And so I've started gathering items needed to make the best WordGirl costume Joshua could possibly have. And at the same time? I'm thinking of ways to make it as un-girly as possible. Is that a sort of salmony pink color that WordGirl wears? Well, maybe Joshua would like it better if his was actually red. And yellow. With some, say, windpants in lieu of tights?



But I am totally okay with this. Really :-) By the time Halloween comes around I won't even have to wink at you in my oh, kids will be kids sort of way when you ask what he is and I tell you. Tim, on the other hand . . .



Of course, Joshua will need a trusty sidekick, will he not? And so Jonah's fate this year is to be Captain HuggyFace, faithful companion of WordGirl. He has no opinion on it, really, except that he would really rather not wear anything like the lion or monkey costume that we already have. In fact he might freak out if somebody simply wanted to test the costumes to see if they even fit him, howling in anguish at the torture he's being put through. I mean, he might. I'm just saying.
--

1 comment:

lindy said...

At least Joshua wants to wear a costume!